Friday, September 12, 2008

SEPTEMBER 11




I wanted to post something about 9/11 I am just now able to sit down at the computer. In my psychology class the other the teacher mentioned 9/11 and how we felt and no one really acted like it was a big deal and I was looking around thinking REALLY? Then she says "Oh thats right most of you were 10 or 11 then." WHAT AHHHHH holy crap It seems like last year to me and I guess when you are a kid events in the world are different then when you are an adult. I was so shocked at their attitudes and the fact that I am in a class with 18 year olds. Anyway I remember that day almpst perfectly. I had just moved to Baltimore on September 8th. I was 7 months pregnant with Keelin. I had gotten up at 5am that morning to see shawn off to work and I stayed up for a bit and read then I fell back asleep. We did not have a phone at that time but I did have a cell phone. I think it was a little after 9am and my cell phone was ringing like crazy so I got up to answer it and I think it was Brenna and she was upset and I couldnt understand her. We lived in a teeny weeny apartment that was in the basement of the building. I couldnt get a signal so I had to go outside. At this point I had no idea what had happened but when I stepped outside it was crazy. We lived about 30 minutes outside DC and there were military helicopters swarming the sky above me. It was like we were at war. Brenna told me what happened and I didn't grasp it until I ran back in and watched TV. I remember being so scared. I was 7 months pregnant and I was so excited to finally be having a baby and now they are saying that this country will never be the same and the way we lived then would not be the way we lived anymore. I was just like nonononononono I am having a baby I want her to have a normal life! When Shawn got home he was freaked. He was working close to DC and it was crazy for him to try to get home that night. We just sat and watched the hours and hours of news coverage. I remember driving around that week after and on the highway every bridge had flags and banners and people had flags everywhere and the highway signs for New York had flags and banners and it was very emotional and moving. I got the Sept 11 2001 people magazine put out with the twin towers coming down on the cover and put it in Keelin's baby book. It became a huge part of my pregnancy. Keelin was born 2 months later. At christmas we were flying home and it was weird to fly so soon after that and we were flying out of Dulles. It was surreal being in the airport and people everywhere armed with machine guns. I want all those kids in my class to know how it was. I am happy Keelin is learning about it in school. Alot of schools dont do much for it where as I think it should be a national holiday. Keelins school is very big on patriotism so they got to wear red white and blue today and abandone their uniforms. They had a church service in the Chapel this morning to remember 9/11. I think that is a really neat thing. Anyway enough for now. I will always remember.

1 comment:

Ranch wife said...

Thanks for the post, and thanks for the comment. Wow to have been so close would have been scary. I pray to the Lord that we never, as a nation experience something like that again....but I am afraid that it is only a matter of time. :(

Have a great day!

~M~